For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Chicken and Rice Soup
Rate this Recipe
Easy, nutritious and tasty!
|4 chicken breasts|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt|
|black pepper, to taste|
|2 tablspoons unsalted butter|
|2 stalks celery, trimmed and diced|
|2 leeks, light green and white part only, diced|
|2 carrots, diced|
|10 flat-leaf parsley sprigs|
|3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped|
|3 sprigs fresh thyme|
|1 bay leaf|
|6 cup chicken broth, low-sodium|
|1/3 cup converted long grain rice, cooked|
- Season the chicken with the 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the chicken, and saute until well browned, about 6 to 8 minutes on each side. Remove meat from the pan and pour off any fat left in the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, add the remaining butter. Add the celery, leeks, and carrots, saute for 10 minutes.
- Tie the parsley sprigs, thyme and bay leaf with a piece of kitchen twine and add to the pot along with the chicken and broth. Bring the soup to a boil, adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and herb bundle. Skim any excess fat from the surface of the soup with a spoon or a ladle. When the chicken is cool enough to handle remove the meat from the bones and cut into 1" chunks; add the meat to the soup along with the rice. Cook until the meat and rice are heated through.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and chopped parsley. Divide the soup among warm bowls and serve.
|Course:||Soup, lunch, dinner|
See Other Recipes Like This
Nothing beats good old-fashioned slow cooked food!
These recipes are full of flavor and easy to make. From classic roasts to hearty stews, there's something for everyone. View Recipes >
Simple Recipes for Fantastic Meals
Delicious meals for the cold weather. They're hearty enough to keep you going, and will satisfy even the hungriest appetite. Whether you're craving beef, pork or chicken, we have you covered. Try a few of these recipes and add them to your collection. Making a wholesome filling meal doesn't have to be hard. View Recipes >
Delicious recipes for the afternoon
Who said brown bag lunches have to be a sandwich and apple? View Recipes >