Roast Pork Shoulder Caribbean-Style
Take your dinner from ordinary to extraordinary with this recipe!
|5 lb. pork shoulder, bone-in |
|1 onion, thickly sliced |
|1 clove garlic, peeled |
|2 tablespoons oregano |
|2 teaspoons cumin seeds |
|2 teaspoons salt |
|1 teaspoon black peppercorns |
|2 bay leaves |
|1 tablespoon vegetable oil |
|1 orange, zest and juice |
|1 lemon, zest and juice |
- Using a sharp knife make several shallow cuts (about 1/2-inch deep) in the pork, place in a glass or ceramic roasting pan. Spread the onion slices on the bottom of the pan.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process to make a paste. Rub the pork with the mixture on all sides, making sure it goes into the cuts. Place pork on top of the onions.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 4 hours, turning once, leaving the fat side up for cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 450° F. Place the pork in the middle rack of the oven. After 30 minutes turn down the temperature to 325° F and cook an additional 2 hours, basting every 30 minutes or so with its own juices.
- Remove the pork from the oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before carving, discard onions.