For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Rib Roast with Roasted Garlic Sauce
Rate this Recipe
An ultra delicious and irresistible dish that's great for special occasions.
|8 lbs. prime beef rib roast, 3 to 4 ribs; trimmed|
|1 tablespoon vegetable oil|
|2 heads garlic|
|3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped|
|1/4 cup shallot, minced|
|2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar|
|2 cup dry red wine|
|1 bay leaf|
|4 cup beef broth|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened|
|2 tablespoon flour|
|Salt, to taste|
|Pepper, to taste|
- Preheat oven to 475° F.
- Put roast, ribs side down, in center of a 13- by 9-inch roasting pan and rub all with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Cut about 1/2 inch from tops of garlic heads to expose cloves and discard tops. Rub cut sides of garlic and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons thyme, pressing to adhere. Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Put garlic heads in a double layer of foil and drizzle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil. Wrap garlic tightly in foil.
- Roast beef in middle of oven for 30 minutes. Remove beef from oven and with a baster skim all but about 1/2 cup liquids from pan. Reserve removed liquids in a small bowl. Baste beef with remaining liquids in roasting pan. Reduce temperature to 375° F.
- Place foil wrapped garlic in with the roast. Return roasting pan to oven and cook for additional 90 minutes. Remove roasting pan from oven. Transfer garlic to a cooling rack and transfer beef to a platter, reserving pan juices. Let beef stand 25 minutes.
- While beef is standing, remove all but about 2 tablespoons of liquid from roasting pan. (Add removed liquid to the small bowl with other removed liquid.) Transfer the 2 tablespoons of liquid to a small pan. Add shallot to pan and turn stove top burner to medium heat, cook shallot in pan for 2 minutes. Unwrap garlic. Squeeze roasted garlic into shallot mixture and discard skins. Add vinegar, wine, bay leaf, and remaining thyme, boil mixture. Stir mixture and mash garlic with a wooden spatula against bottom of pan, until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mash together butter and flour. Combine reserved liquid from small bowl to the garlic mixture. Stir together and boil sauce until reduced to about 2 cups. Whisk the butter and flour mixture into the broth mixture and cook for 3 minutes. (Sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.) Pour sauce through a fine sieve into a bowl, removed the solids. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Cut rib roast into slices, serve with sauce and enjoy!
See Other Recipes Like This
Get Your Grill On!
Star Spangled Scrumptious!
Get up and celebrate this 4th of July with some seriously delicious dishes! View Recipes >
Enjoy the Oscars with these supremely delicious dishes!
Oscar buzz is in the air. In order to properly honor the occasion, we have a few suggestions on what to serve your guests. Movie themed foods that pay tribute to the nominees. View Recipes >
Mix Up Some Refreshing Summer Flavors
Summer is here, and there's no better way to showcase farm fresh vegetables than with bright, flavorful salads. View Recipes >
Minimal ingredient treats with great taste in no time!
Be surprised what you can make with just a few simple ingredients. Everything from brownies to orange sorbet and everything in between! View Recipes >
In honor of National Dairy Month, here are a few of our favorite recipes. We have a sample of everything from a Macaroni and Cheese Casserole to a Strawberry Milkshake! View Recipes >