For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Rib Roast with Roasted Garlic Sauce
Rate this Recipe
An ultra delicious and irresistible dish that's great for special occasions.
|8 lbs. prime beef rib roast, 3 to 4 ribs; trimmed|
|1 tablespoon vegetable oil|
|2 heads garlic|
|3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped|
|1/4 cup shallot, minced|
|2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar|
|2 cup dry red wine|
|1 bay leaf|
|4 cup beef broth|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened|
|2 tablespoon flour|
|Salt, to taste|
|Pepper, to taste|
- Preheat oven to 475° F.
- Put roast, ribs side down, in center of a 13- by 9-inch roasting pan and rub all with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Cut about 1/2 inch from tops of garlic heads to expose cloves and discard tops. Rub cut sides of garlic and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons thyme, pressing to adhere. Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Put garlic heads in a double layer of foil and drizzle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil. Wrap garlic tightly in foil.
- Roast beef in middle of oven for 30 minutes. Remove beef from oven and with a baster skim all but about 1/2 cup liquids from pan. Reserve removed liquids in a small bowl. Baste beef with remaining liquids in roasting pan. Reduce temperature to 375° F.
- Place foil wrapped garlic in with the roast. Return roasting pan to oven and cook for additional 90 minutes. Remove roasting pan from oven. Transfer garlic to a cooling rack and transfer beef to a platter, reserving pan juices. Let beef stand 25 minutes.
- While beef is standing, remove all but about 2 tablespoons of liquid from roasting pan. (Add removed liquid to the small bowl with other removed liquid.) Transfer the 2 tablespoons of liquid to a small pan. Add shallot to pan and turn stove top burner to medium heat, cook shallot in pan for 2 minutes. Unwrap garlic. Squeeze roasted garlic into shallot mixture and discard skins. Add vinegar, wine, bay leaf, and remaining thyme, boil mixture. Stir mixture and mash garlic with a wooden spatula against bottom of pan, until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl mash together butter and flour. Combine reserved liquid from small bowl to the garlic mixture. Stir together and boil sauce until reduced to about 2 cups. Whisk the butter and flour mixture into the broth mixture and cook for 3 minutes. (Sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.) Pour sauce through a fine sieve into a bowl, removed the solids. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Cut rib roast into slices, serve with sauce and enjoy!
See Other Recipes Like This
Treat Mom Like a Queen
Treat mom to a special home cooked meal this Mother's Day. We have a variety of easy and delicious dishes she's sure to love. View Recipes >
A simple collection of delicious family-style recipes
Planning out the weekly dinner menu? Tired of the same dishes week after week? Try these tasty entrees for a scrumptious change of pace. View Recipes >
Enjoy these dark greens for your health!
Eating your veggies has never been easier. Try these scrumptious recipes that are both healthy and easy to prepare. View Recipes >
Enjoy the Oscars with these supremely delicious dishes!
Oscar buzz is in the air. In order to properly honor the occasion, we have a few suggestions on what to serve your guests. Movie themed foods that pay tribute to the nominees. View Recipes >
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
Take a fiesta of flavor to the table with delicious Mexican dishes that will make your taste buds go loco! View Recipes >