For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Excellent City Ham
Rate this Recipe
Serves 10 to 15 portions
|1 city style (brined) ham, hock end|
|1/4 cup brown mustard|
|2 cup dark brown sugar|
|1 oz. bourbon, poured into a spritz bottle|
|2 cup ginger snap cookies, crushed|
- Heat oven to 250° F.
- Remove ham from bag, rinse and drain thoroughly. Place ham, cut side down, in a roasting pan. Using a small paring knife or clean utility knife set to the smallest blade setting, score the ham from bottom to top, spiraling clockwise as you cut. (If you're using a paring knife, be careful to only cut through the skin and first few layers of fat). Rotate the ham after each cut so that the scores are no more than 2-inches across. Once you've made it all the way around, move the knife to the other hand and repeat, spiraling counter clockwise. The aim is to create a diamond pattern all over the ham. (Don't worry too much about precision here.)
- Tent the ham with heavy duty foil, insert a thermometer, and cook for 3 to 4 hours or until the internal temperature at the deepest part of the meat registers 130° F.
- Remove and use tongs to pull away the diamonds of skin and any sheets of fat that come off with them.
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Dab dry with paper towels, then brush on a liberal coat of mustard, using either a basting brush or a clean paint brush (clean as in never-touched paint). Sprinkle on brown sugar, packing loosely as you go until the ham is coated. Spritz this layer lightly with bourbon, then loosely pack on as much of the crushed cookies as you can.
- Insert the thermometer (don't use the old hole) and return to the oven (uncovered). Cook until interior temperature reaches 140° F, approximately 1 hour.
- Let the roast rest for 1/2 hour before carving.
See Other Recipes Like This
Fire up the grill for something delicious!
Try something a little different from the ordinary on the grill. Cook up fresh fruits and veggies for a healthy and tasty side. View Recipes >
Easy and Tasty recipes that kids love!
Try out these tried and true classics that kids go bananas over. They're fun, simple and delicious! View Recipes >
Throw something on the barbie!
Summer is here and boy do we have a few delicious recipes for you! Try them out today, you won't regret it! View Recipes >