For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Rate this Recipe
Hearty, tasty and slightly spicy.
|3 tablespoons cooking oil|
|1 lb. lean round steak, cut into bite-sized strips|
|1 cup onion, chopped|
|1 cup green bell peppers, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 can kidney beans, 16 oz., with liquid|
|2 cups tomatoes, chopped|
|1 can tomato sauce, 16 oz.|
|1 cup beef broth|
|1 can black-eyed peas, 16 oz.|
|1 hot chilies|
|2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped|
|1 tablespoon basil, chopped|
|1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed|
|1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 cup niblet corn, fresh or frozen|
|Salt, to taste|
|Cheddar cheese, shredded for garnish|
- What better way to pair up a nice mellow Chilean Merlot than with a Chilean chili recipe that is as complex in flavor as the wine itself.
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat half of the oil. Brown the meat in the hot oil on all sides.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain off the fat. Add the remaining oil to the pan, saute the onion, bell pepper and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked beef, kidney beans and liquid, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, black-eyed peas, chilies, cilantro, basil, brown sugar, Worcestershire and bay leaf.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the corn and salt to taste, cooking for 5 minutes more. Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve in bowls topped with shredded cheddar cheese.
See Other Recipes Like This
Enjoy the Oscars with these supremely delicious dishes!
Oscar buzz is in the air. In order to properly honor the occasion, we have a few suggestions on what to serve your guests. Movie themed foods that pay tribute to the nominees. View Recipes >
The Real Flavor of Mardi Gras!
Ah, C'est bon ca (Ah, that's good), describes cajun cooking perfectly. Louisiana has a cuisine that's unlike anywhere else in the United States. Mixing French with Southern, and making something truly unique. View Recipes >