For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Dark Chocolate Pudding
Rate this Recipe
Mildly sweet and totally satisfying.
|1 bar bittersweet chocolate, chopped|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|2 1/3 cups whole milk|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|2 tablespoons cocoa powder|
|1 tablespoon cornstarch|
|2 egg yolks|
|2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract|
|1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso|
- Partially fill a large bowl with ice cubes. Place a smaller bowl on top of the ice cubes. Set aside.
- Combine chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat chocolate and butter until melted. Let cool slightly.
- In a saucepan, simmer 2 cups milk with 1/4 cup sugar and salt. Occasionally stirring.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and cornstarch with the remaining 1/3 cup of milk. Whisk the cocoa mix into the hot milk.
- In the same bowl, whisk the yolks and whole egg with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Gradually whisk some of the hot milk mixture into the eggs to warm them, then whisk the egg mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium heat. Whisk for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate-butter mix, vanilla extract and espresso.
- Place a fine strainer over the chilled bowl. Slowly pour the pudding into the bowl. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the top of the bowl and transfer to the refrigerator to chill.