For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Sausage and Sweet Pepper Calzones
Rate this Recipe
These calzones are incredibly delicious and easy to make.
|1 lb Italian sausage, removed from the casing|
|1 onion, peeled and julienned|
|1 green bell pepper, seeded and julienned|
|1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned|
|2 tablespoons chopped garlic|
|8 oz ricotta cheese|
|8 oz grated Mozzarella cheese|
|8 oz grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese|
|1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper|
|4 tablespoons olive oil|
|4 individual pizza dough rounds, 6-inch each|
|Salt, to taste|
|Pepper, to taste|
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Bring a saute pan to medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and brown, cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, drain and cool completely. Bring another saute pan to medium heat, add the remaining oil. Add the onions and peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and remove from the heat. Cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sausage, onion-pepper mixture, cheeses and crushed red pepper. Mix well. Season with salt.
- Using a fork, dock each round of pizza dough. Divide the mixture into fourths and place in the center of each round of dough. Fold one end of the dough over the other, forming a half-moon shape. Using a fork or your fingers press the ends together, sealing the calzones completely.
- Place the calzones on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
See Other Recipes Like This
Star Spangled Scrumptious!
Get up and celebrate this 4th of July with some seriously delicious dishes! View Recipes >
Mix Up Some Refreshing Summer Flavors
Summer is here, and there's no better way to showcase farm fresh vegetables than with bright, flavorful salads. View Recipes >
Minimal ingredient treats with great taste in no time!
Be surprised what you can make with just a few simple ingredients. Everything from brownies to orange sorbet and everything in between! View Recipes >
In honor of National Dairy Month, here are a few of our favorite recipes. We have a sample of everything from a Macaroni and Cheese Casserole to a Strawberry Milkshake! View Recipes >