For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Sausage and Sweet Pepper Calzones
Rate this Recipe
These calzones are incredibly delicious and easy to make.
|1 lb Italian sausage, removed from the casing|
|1 onion, peeled and julienned|
|1 green bell pepper, seeded and julienned|
|1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned|
|2 tablespoons chopped garlic|
|8 oz ricotta cheese|
|8 oz grated Mozzarella cheese|
|8 oz grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese|
|1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper|
|4 tablespoons olive oil|
|4 individual pizza dough rounds, 6-inch each|
|Salt, to taste|
|Pepper, to taste|
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Bring a saute pan to medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and brown, cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, drain and cool completely. Bring another saute pan to medium heat, add the remaining oil. Add the onions and peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and remove from the heat. Cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sausage, onion-pepper mixture, cheeses and crushed red pepper. Mix well. Season with salt.
- Using a fork, dock each round of pizza dough. Divide the mixture into fourths and place in the center of each round of dough. Fold one end of the dough over the other, forming a half-moon shape. Using a fork or your fingers press the ends together, sealing the calzones completely.
- Place the calzones on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
See Other Recipes Like This
Nothing beats good old-fashioned slow cooked food!
These recipes are full of flavor and easy to make. From classic roasts to hearty stews, there's something for everyone. View Recipes >
Classic Holiday Recipes with a Twist
Try these delicious recipes for your Thanksgiving meal. They're easy to prepare, fun to make, the whole family will love them. Share your passion for cooking and do something a little different this holiday season. Great tasting recipes from turkey and stuffing to mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Don't forget the pumpkin pie! View Recipes >
What to eat before the Big Meal?
Here are a few recipe ideas to have before your Thanksgiving Day meal. Why not start off the day with something a little sweeter? Maybe a dish with apples? The perfect fall fruit, crisp, juicy and delicious. Or maybe you're in the mood for a hearty brunch, something with a little of everything. View Recipes >
Easy and delicious recipes for the big game!
Whip up classic favorites like a hearty chili, baked potato skins and Philly steaks. All your favorite dishes in one place! Don't sweat it on game day, we've got great starters and snacks to make it to the end. Perfect for feeding the whole team. Just be prepared to make seconds, these are the true crowd pleasers! View Recipes >