For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Chasens Famous Chili
Rate this Recipe
World famous and absolutely delicious!
|1 lb pork shoulder, (chopped, 1/2-inch chunks)|
|3 cups chopped onions|
|1/3 cup chili powder|
|1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper|
|1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin|
|1/2 cup chopped parsley|
|1 can diced tomatoes, (with juice)|
|2 cloves garlic, (crushed)|
|2 lb beef chuck, (chopped, 1/2-inch chunks))|
|1/2 lb dry pinto beans, (rinsed and cleaned)|
|2 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|1 tablespoon salt|
|1 green bell pepper, (chopped)|
|1 stick butter|
- Pour pinto beans into Dutch oven. Fill with enough water to cover beans. Cover and bring to boil, then cook for 2 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from heat and let stand for 1 hour. After 1 hour, drain water.
- Rinse beans, then return to Dutch oven. Fill with enough water to cover beans. Place lid on top and bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 1 hour. Add tomatoes with juice to beans. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour vegetable oil into a skillet. Bring to medium-high heat and add bell pepper. Saute for 5 minutes. Then add onions. Stir together and cook until onions are tender. Add parsley and garlic to skillet. Stir together. Pour bean mixture into skillet. Stir together. Transfer mixture to Dutch oven and let sit.
- In same skillet, add butter and melt. Once butter is melted, add beef and pork. Saute mixture until meats are browned. Drain liquid.
- Add bean mixture to meat in skillet and stir together. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder.
- Bring skillet to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 1 hour. After an hour, remove cover and cook additional 30 minutes.
See Other Recipes Like This
Enjoy the Oscars with these supremely delicious dishes!
Oscar buzz is in the air. In order to properly honor the occasion, we have a few suggestions on what to serve your guests. Movie themed foods that pay tribute to the nominees. View Recipes >
Slow Cooked, Savory Dishes For A Relaxing Day
There's nothing quite like hot food on a cold day. Everything that's delicious collected one one place. Hearty, rich and flavorful, that's what makes comfort food the best. View Recipes >