For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Gratin of Red and Yellow Peppers and Tomatoes
Rate this Recipe
A healthy and full flavored side dish.
|3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise|
|3 yellow bell peppers, halved lengthwise|
|5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, extra for pan|
|1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley|
|1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme|
|1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary|
|1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest|
|1 1/2 teaspoons salt|
|3/4 teaspoon black pepper|
|3 1/2 cups cubed sourdough baguette|
|1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese|
|4 yellow tomatoes, cut crosswise into 5 slices|
|4 red tomatoes, cut crosswise into 5 slices|
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange bell peppers, cut sides down, in a shallow baking pan.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until blackened and beginning to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Cover pan tightly with foil and let stand 10 to 15 minutes, until the peppers are cool enough to handle. Peel peppers and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly oil gratin dish.
- Stir together parsley, thyme, rosemary, zest, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Toss bread cubes with cheese and olive oil in another bowl.
- Arrange half the tomatoes in the gratin dish, overlapping slices and alternating colors, then spread half the pepper strips on top. Sprinkle with half of herb mixture and 2 cups bread mixture. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake gratin until the mixture is bubbling and the topping is golden brown - about 35 to 45 minutes,
- Cool gratin on a rack to warm or room temperature.
See Other Recipes Like This
Healthy Recipes for a Healthy Life
Enjoy these easy recipes any time. Whether you're preparing a meal or a quick snack, you'll find the perfect dish. View Recipes >
Warm up with delicious soup!
It doesn't get much better than sitting down with a big bowl of homemade soup as the temperatures drop outside. View Recipes >
Easy and Flavorful Family Dinners
Putting a nutritious dinner on the table should be a struggle. Follow these simple recipes and watch your family's faces light up with delight. View Recipes >
What dinnertime dilemma?
Delectable dinner options that everyone can enjoy. Whether you're looking for something healthy or hearty, we've got the right dish for you. View Recipes >
Easy and delicious recipes for the big game!
Whip up classic favorites like a hearty chili, baked potato skins and Philly steaks. All your favorite dishes in one place! Don't sweat it on game day, we've got great starters and snacks to make it to the end. Perfect for feeding the whole team. Just be prepared to make seconds, these are the true crowd pleasers! View Recipes >