For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Gratin of Red and Yellow Peppers and Tomatoes
Rate this Recipe
A healthy and full flavored side dish.
|3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise|
|3 yellow bell peppers, halved lengthwise|
|5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, extra for pan|
|1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley|
|1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme|
|1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary|
|1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest|
|1 1/2 teaspoons salt|
|3/4 teaspoon black pepper|
|3 1/2 cups cubed sourdough baguette|
|1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese|
|4 yellow tomatoes, cut crosswise into 5 slices|
|4 red tomatoes, cut crosswise into 5 slices|
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange bell peppers, cut sides down, in a shallow baking pan.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until blackened and beginning to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Cover pan tightly with foil and let stand 10 to 15 minutes, until the peppers are cool enough to handle. Peel peppers and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly oil gratin dish.
- Stir together parsley, thyme, rosemary, zest, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Toss bread cubes with cheese and olive oil in another bowl.
- Arrange half the tomatoes in the gratin dish, overlapping slices and alternating colors, then spread half the pepper strips on top. Sprinkle with half of herb mixture and 2 cups bread mixture. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake gratin until the mixture is bubbling and the topping is golden brown - about 35 to 45 minutes,
- Cool gratin on a rack to warm or room temperature.