For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Roasted Beet and Gorgonzola Salad
Rate this Recipe
Hearty, tasty and easy to prepare.
|1/2 pound red beets, washed, stems and leaves removed|
|1/2 pound golden beets, washed, stems and leaves removed|
|1/2 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted and shelled|
|1 bulb fennel, cored, halved and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices|
|6 cups mache|
|1 tablespoon minced shallots|
|2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper|
|1/3 cup vegetable oil|
|6 oz blue cheese, crumbled|
|8 French bread croutons, for serving|
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Wrap the red beets in 1 large piece of aluminum foil, and the golden beets in another large piece of aluminum foil, closing the packets tightly. Roast in the oven until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven, unwrap the beets and cool. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Place the beets in a small bowl.
- Spread the sunflower seeds on a small baking sheet and toast lightly in the oven, about 3 minutes, shaking once during cooking to turn. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Place the fennel and mache in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the shallots, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and whisk in the oil in a steady stream to emulsify. Toss the beets with a small amount of the dressing, and the fennel and mache with the remaining dressing. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mache and fennel among 4 salad plates. Arrange the beets on top of the greens, and top with the crumbled cheese. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of seeds over each salad and serve with toasted French bread croutons.
See Other Recipes Like This
Eating healthy never tasted so good!
Looking for a healthier option to enjoy for lunch or dinner? Check out these delicious Autumn salads. View Recipes >
Easy recipes your whole family will love
Tired of loading up your shopping cart with snack foods you know aren't very healthy? We've got a simple solution to your snacking needs. View Recipes >