For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Roasted Beet and Gorgonzola Salad
Rate this Recipe
Hearty, tasty and easy to prepare.
|1/2 pound red beets, washed, stems and leaves removed|
|1/2 pound golden beets, washed, stems and leaves removed|
|1/2 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted and shelled|
|1 bulb fennel, cored, halved and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices|
|6 cups mache|
|1 tablespoon minced shallots|
|2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper|
|1/3 cup vegetable oil|
|6 oz blue cheese, crumbled|
|8 French bread croutons, for serving|
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Wrap the red beets in 1 large piece of aluminum foil, and the golden beets in another large piece of aluminum foil, closing the packets tightly. Roast in the oven until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven, unwrap the beets and cool. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Place the beets in a small bowl.
- Spread the sunflower seeds on a small baking sheet and toast lightly in the oven, about 3 minutes, shaking once during cooking to turn. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Place the fennel and mache in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the shallots, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and whisk in the oil in a steady stream to emulsify. Toss the beets with a small amount of the dressing, and the fennel and mache with the remaining dressing. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mache and fennel among 4 salad plates. Arrange the beets on top of the greens, and top with the crumbled cheese. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of seeds over each salad and serve with toasted French bread croutons.
See Other Recipes Like This
Delicious, Healthy and Easy to Make
Whether you're looking to spice up the regular Fall menu or looking for healthier alternatives, we've got a dish for you. View Recipes >
Eating healthy never tasted so good!
Looking for a healthier option to enjoy for lunch or dinner? Check out these delicious Autumn salads. View Recipes >
The perfect recipes for the school year!
When it comes to the school year, you usually have less time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try these tasty recipes, they're easy, quick and delicious! View Recipes >
Easy and delicious recipes for the big game!
Whip up classic favorites like a hearty chili, baked potato skins and Philly steaks. All your favorite dishes in one place! Don't sweat it on game day, we've got great starters and snacks to make it to the end. Perfect for feeding the whole team. Just be prepared to make seconds, these are the true crowd pleasers! View Recipes >