For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Roast Goose With Chestnuts and Prunes
Rate this Recipe
A holiday favorite and great dinner option all around.
|1 1/2 lbs fresh chestnuts|
|1 1/2 lbs pitted prunes|
|10 lb goose with giblets|
|Salt, to taste|
|1 tsp black peppercorns|
|Ground black pepper, to taste|
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Using a small knife, make an X on the pointed end of each chestnut. Place in one layer on a baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes. Let cool and peel off shells. Place prunes in a bowl. Add boiling water to cover. Let sit for 15 minutes, then drain.
- Mix chestnuts with half of the drained prunes. Toss with a little salt and pepper. Set aside. Remove giblets from goose. Cut off tips and first joints of wings and set aside. Remove any large pockets of fat from goose. Cut off all but 3 inches of skin near the neck.
- Stuff cavity with chestnut-prune mixture. Truss goose with string. Place goose on rack in a roasting pan. Prick skin all over with a small knife, being careful not to puncture flesh. Season with salt and pepper, rubbing into skin with your fingers. Roast for 2 hours.
- Place giblets (except liver) and wing tips in a large saucepan with water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon black peppercorns and cook with cover askew for 1 hour, skimming often. Add remaining prunes and cook 1 hour longer, continuing to skim and adding water as necessary.
- Remove prunes and strain stock through a fine mesh sieve; return stock to pan. Continue to cook stock until syrupy and reduced to about 3 cups. Transfer prunes to a food mill or blender and process until very smooth. Add enough prune puree to obtain a dark, thick gravy.
- Add salt and pepper. After 2 hours, check goose with a thermometer. Breast meat should be 165 degrees. Remove if done, or continue to cook until desired temperature is reached. Remove goose from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut off string and spoon out chestnuts and prunes. Cut off legs and thighs and carve breast into thick slices. Top with chestnuts and prunes, and serve hot prune gravy alongside.
See Other Recipes Like This
Delicious Greek yogurt recipes to try at home.
If you love Greek yogurt, but want to shake things up a bit, try these amazing recipes. They're healthy, flavorful and easy to make! View Recipes >
Mouth-Watering Memorial Day
Celebrate freedom, family and friends with good food. It's time to kickoff summer! View Recipes >