For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Rate this Recipe
Serves 10 - 12
|6 lb corned beef brisket or round|
|2 1/2 lb carrots, divided use|
|1 3/4 lb onions, divided use|
|1 cup malt vinegar|
|6 ounces Irish stout beer|
|4 tablespoons of pickling spice, (provided with purchase of corned beef)|
|3 lb cabbage, rinsed|
|2 1/2 lb small red potatoes, scrubbed|
|1/2 cup coarse grain mustard, optional|
|1/2 cup Dijon mustard, optional|
- You’ll need a heavy-duty pot large enough to hold four gallons for this large quantity recipe. Divide onions and carrots and chop enough to fill 1 cup of each, reserving the rest. Place the corned beef in the stockpot. Add the chopped onions, carrots, malt vinegar, stout beer, pickling spice. Add enough water to cover the corned beef, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer about 3 hours until meat is fork-tender.
- While the corned beef is cooking, cut the reserved onions into eight wedges and the carrots into 2-inch chunks (larger carrots should be halved first.) Slice each head of cabbage into 8 wedges.
- Add onions, carrots and red potatoes to the cooked corned beef, with the cabbage on top. Cover and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes, until potatoes and cabbage are fork-tender.
- To serve, cut corned beef against the grain into thin slices and accompany with the cooked vegetables. Dijon mustard and/or coarse grained mustard complement the corned beef as optional condiments.
- Slice meat and serve immediately with creamed horseradish sauce.
Tired of burgers and steaks? Fire up the grill for these delicious recipes! View Recipes >
Enjoy the chilly treat while the temperatures rise!
Does it get any better than enjoying this frozen treat during the hot summer days? It does if you make it yourself! View Recipes >
The perfect recipes for the school year!
When it comes to the school year, you usually have less time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try these tasty recipes, they're easy, quick and delicious! View Recipes >