For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Rate this Recipe
Serves 10 - 12
|6 lb corned beef brisket or round|
|2 1/2 lb carrots, divided use|
|1 3/4 lb onions, divided use|
|1 cup malt vinegar|
|6 ounces Irish stout beer|
|4 tablespoons of pickling spice, (provided with purchase of corned beef)|
|3 lb cabbage, rinsed|
|2 1/2 lb small red potatoes, scrubbed|
|1/2 cup coarse grain mustard, optional|
|1/2 cup Dijon mustard, optional|
- You’ll need a heavy-duty pot large enough to hold four gallons for this large quantity recipe. Divide onions and carrots and chop enough to fill 1 cup of each, reserving the rest. Place the corned beef in the stockpot. Add the chopped onions, carrots, malt vinegar, stout beer, pickling spice. Add enough water to cover the corned beef, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer about 3 hours until meat is fork-tender.
- While the corned beef is cooking, cut the reserved onions into eight wedges and the carrots into 2-inch chunks (larger carrots should be halved first.) Slice each head of cabbage into 8 wedges.
- Add onions, carrots and red potatoes to the cooked corned beef, with the cabbage on top. Cover and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes, until potatoes and cabbage are fork-tender.
- To serve, cut corned beef against the grain into thin slices and accompany with the cooked vegetables. Dijon mustard and/or coarse grained mustard complement the corned beef as optional condiments.
- Slice meat and serve immediately with creamed horseradish sauce.
Get Your Grill On!
Star Spangled Scrumptious!
Get up and celebrate this 4th of July with some seriously delicious dishes! View Recipes >
Mix Up Some Refreshing Summer Flavors
Summer is here, and there's no better way to showcase farm fresh vegetables than with bright, flavorful salads. View Recipes >
Minimal ingredient treats with great taste in no time!
Be surprised what you can make with just a few simple ingredients. Everything from brownies to orange sorbet and everything in between! View Recipes >
In honor of National Dairy Month, here are a few of our favorite recipes. We have a sample of everything from a Macaroni and Cheese Casserole to a Strawberry Milkshake! View Recipes >