For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Crushed Candy Cane Macaroons
Rate this Recipe
A tasty gluten-free dessert that’s extra festive for the holiday season.
|1/2 cup sugar|
|2 tablespoons milk|
|1 cup almond meal flour|
|2 candy canes, (crushed)|
|1 stick butter|
|2 1/3 cups powdered sugar|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|3 egg whites, (room temperature)|
|2 teaspoons red food coloring, (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Combine and sift together 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar and almond flour.
- Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Once soft peaks are formed, slowly add the powered sugar/almond flour mix in. Stir together until stiff peaks are formed.
- If using food coloring, add to mixture and continue stirring until evenly distributed.
- Pour macaroon mix onto parchment lined baking sheets. Pop any bubbles that form. Let the cookies sit on parchment paper for at least 30 minutes. The cookies are done when the top is hard and cookie shell does not come away when touched.
- Bake macaroons 20-25 minutes.
- Allow macaroons to cool until ready to handle, then remove macaroons from the parchment paper. Cool on a wire rack.
- As macaroons are cooling, combine remaining powered sugar, milk, vanilla extract and butter in a mixing bowl. Mix ingredients together until they are airy.
- Spread buttercream mixture onto half the macaroons. Place other halves on to make sandwich-style cookies.
- Roll macaroons in crushed candy canes.
See Other Recipes Like This
Tired of burgers and steaks? Fire up the grill for these delicious recipes! View Recipes >
Enjoy the chilly treat while the temperatures rise!
Does it get any better than enjoying this frozen treat during the hot summer days? It does if you make it yourself! View Recipes >
The perfect recipes for the school year!
When it comes to the school year, you usually have less time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try these tasty recipes, they're easy, quick and delicious! View Recipes >