For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Yams with Toasted Spice Rub
Rate this Recipe
Makes 4 servings
|4 medium sized yams, or sweet potatoes, cut in 1/2|
|1/2 cup unsalted butter|
|1/4 cup brown sugar|
|2 tablespoons lemon juice|
|2 tablespoons Toasted Spice Rub, recipe follows|
|1/2 teaspoon gray salt|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put sweet potatoes in a glass or stainless steel bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in brown sugar and lemon juice. When sugar is completely melted, stir in Toasted Spice Rub and gray salt. Pour mixture over sweet potatoes. Toss well.
- Arrange sweet potatoes in a baking dish, cut side up. With rubber spatula, scrape all the butter and spice mixture over the top of the sweet potatoes, and then add a sprinkling of Toasted Spice Rub on top of each one. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F until easily pierced with a knife.
|1/4 cup fennel seeds|
|1 tablespoon coriander seeds|
|1 tablespoon peppercorns|
|1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes|
|1/4 cup (1-ounce) pure California chili powder|
|2 tablespoons kosher salt|
|2 tablespoons ground cinnamon|
- Toast the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorns in a small, heavy pan over medium heat. When the fennel turns light brown, work quickly. Turn on the exhaust fan, add the red pepper flakes, and toss, toss, toss, always under the fan. Immediately turn the spice mixture out onto a plate to cool. Put in a blender with the chili powder, salt, and cinnamon and blend until the spices are evenly ground. If you have a small spice mill or a coffee grinder dedicated to grinding spices, grind only the fennel, coriander, pepper, and chili flakes. Pour into a bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients.
Star Spangled Scrumptious!
Get up and celebrate this 4th of July with some seriously delicious dishes! View Recipes >
Mix Up Some Refreshing Summer Flavors
Summer is here, and there's no better way to showcase farm fresh vegetables than with bright, flavorful salads. View Recipes >
Minimal ingredient treats with great taste in no time!
Be surprised what you can make with just a few simple ingredients. Everything from brownies to orange sorbet and everything in between! View Recipes >
In honor of National Dairy Month, here are a few of our favorite recipes. We have a sample of everything from a Macaroni and Cheese Casserole to a Strawberry Milkshake! View Recipes >