For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Southern Macaroni & Cheese
Rate this Recipe
An interesting cousin to the classic Mac & Cheese recipe.
|1/2 cup flour|
|3 cups whole milk|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 cup unsalted butter|
|2 cups Cheddar cheese, (sharp, grated)|
|1/2 lb elbow pasta|
|2 cups potato chips, (crushed)|
|2 cups Sauce|
|1 cup hot dogs, (chopped)|
- For The Sauce
- Cook milk in a pot for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Milk should bubble, not boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate pot, melt butter and then add flour, whisking until browned.
- Pour the milk into the buttered pot very slowly. Stir after every cup added. Contents will first thicken and thin out as milk is added.
- Set heat to medium-high and whisk pot. Ingredients will create a heavy and smooth sauce. It will be done when the sauce does not run off the spoon like milk.
- Macaroni Ingredients
- Cook pasta in boiling water until almost al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large pot, combine hot dogs, sauce and cheese. Cook ingredients for 3 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once the cheese sauce is well blended, add pasta and cook additional 5 minutes. Constantly stirring ingredients.
- Pour macaroni and cheese in serving bowls, sprinkle crushed potato chips on top and enjoy!
|Course:||Dinner, snack, appetizer|
See Other Recipes Like This
Get Your Grill On!
Star Spangled Scrumptious!
Get up and celebrate this 4th of July with some seriously delicious dishes! View Recipes >
Mix Up Some Refreshing Summer Flavors
Summer is here, and there's no better way to showcase farm fresh vegetables than with bright, flavorful salads. View Recipes >
Minimal ingredient treats with great taste in no time!
Be surprised what you can make with just a few simple ingredients. Everything from brownies to orange sorbet and everything in between! View Recipes >
In honor of National Dairy Month, here are a few of our favorite recipes. We have a sample of everything from a Macaroni and Cheese Casserole to a Strawberry Milkshake! View Recipes >