For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Southern Macaroni & Cheese
Rate this Recipe
An interesting cousin to the classic Mac & Cheese recipe.
|1/2 cup flour|
|3 cups whole milk|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 cup unsalted butter|
|2 cups Cheddar cheese, (sharp, grated)|
|1/2 lb elbow pasta|
|2 cups potato chips, (crushed)|
|2 cups Sauce|
|1 cup hot dogs, (chopped)|
- For The Sauce
- Cook milk in a pot for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Milk should bubble, not boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate pot, melt butter and then add flour, whisking until browned.
- Pour the milk into the buttered pot very slowly. Stir after every cup added. Contents will first thicken and thin out as milk is added.
- Set heat to medium-high and whisk pot. Ingredients will create a heavy and smooth sauce. It will be done when the sauce does not run off the spoon like milk.
- Macaroni Ingredients
- Cook pasta in boiling water until almost al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large pot, combine hot dogs, sauce and cheese. Cook ingredients for 3 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once the cheese sauce is well blended, add pasta and cook additional 5 minutes. Constantly stirring ingredients.
- Pour macaroni and cheese in serving bowls, sprinkle crushed potato chips on top and enjoy!
|Course:||Dinner, snack, appetizer|
See Other Recipes Like This
Tired of burgers and steaks? Fire up the grill for these delicious recipes! View Recipes >
Enjoy the chilly treat while the temperatures rise!
Does it get any better than enjoying this frozen treat during the hot summer days? It does if you make it yourself! View Recipes >
The perfect recipes for the school year!
When it comes to the school year, you usually have less time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try these tasty recipes, they're easy, quick and delicious! View Recipes >