For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Braised Chuck Roast with Potatoes
Rate this Recipe
Put a comfort meal on the table with this flavorful roast.
|4 lb. boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat|
|1 tablespoon allspice seasoning|
|Salt, to taste|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|3 onions, peeled, halved then sliced|
|2 bell peppers, rinsed, dried, cored, seeded and chopped|
|8 oz. whole mushrooms, cleaned and dried|
|1 cup beef broth|
|1 cup red wine|
|2 1/2 lb. red potatoes, rinsed, dried, peeled then halved|
|Ground black pepper, to taste|
- Rub roast all over with Cajun seasoning then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place roast in a large, heavy-duty food storage bag; seal bag then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a large Dutch oven. Add onions, cooking and stirring until onions are browned and tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add peppers and mushrooms; cook for 3 minutes. Remove vegetables to a plate then turn the heat up to medium high.
- Add roast to Dutch oven and sear on all sides.
- Add cooked vegetables back to Dutch oven, along with broth and wine. Bring ingredients to a boil then reduce heat to medium; cook for 10 to 15 minutes, uncovered, until reduced by about one-third.
- Cover Dutch oven then reduce heat to low. Simmer roast for 3 ½ hours.
- Add potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender and meat is tender and fully cooked, about 30 to 45 minutes longer.
See Other Recipes Like This
Crisp on the outside, gooey on the inside.
There are so many variations of the classic sandwich. Find a new favorite and share your love for one of the tastiest sandwiches around. View Recipes >
Traditional Irish Recipes for St. Patrick's Day
Enjoy these classic Irish dishes in honor of St. Patrick's Day. There's the traditional Corned Beef & Cabbage, Shepherd's Pie and even Irish Potato Soup. They're hearty, flavorful and easy to make! View Recipes >