For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Braised Chuck Roast with Potatoes
Rate this Recipe
Put a comfort meal on the table with this flavorful roast.
|4 lb. boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat|
|1 tablespoon allspice seasoning|
|Salt, to taste|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|3 onions, peeled, halved then sliced|
|2 bell peppers, rinsed, dried, cored, seeded and chopped|
|8 oz. whole mushrooms, cleaned and dried|
|1 cup beef broth|
|1 cup red wine|
|2 1/2 lb. red potatoes, rinsed, dried, peeled then halved|
|Ground black pepper, to taste|
- Rub roast all over with Cajun seasoning then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place roast in a large, heavy-duty food storage bag; seal bag then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a large Dutch oven. Add onions, cooking and stirring until onions are browned and tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add peppers and mushrooms; cook for 3 minutes. Remove vegetables to a plate then turn the heat up to medium high.
- Add roast to Dutch oven and sear on all sides.
- Add cooked vegetables back to Dutch oven, along with broth and wine. Bring ingredients to a boil then reduce heat to medium; cook for 10 to 15 minutes, uncovered, until reduced by about one-third.
- Cover Dutch oven then reduce heat to low. Simmer roast for 3 ½ hours.
- Add potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender and meat is tender and fully cooked, about 30 to 45 minutes longer.