For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya
Rate this Recipe
A great dish for feeding the whole family.
|1/2 cup olive oil|
|3 cups onions, chopped|
|1 cup green bell peppers, chopped|
|1 cup celery, chopped|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|1 teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|1 tablespoon garlic, chopped|
|1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces|
|1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 1" cubes|
|3/4 lb ham, cut into 1/2" cubes|
|3 bay leaves|
|3 cups white rice|
|6 cups chicken stock|
|1/2 cup green onions, chopped|
|1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped|
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 3/4 teaspoon of the cayenne, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the sausage and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom and sides of the pot to loosen any browned particles, until browned.
- Season the chicken with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne. Add the chicken and the bay leaves, and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add the ham and cook for 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the stock, stir to combine, and cover.
- Turn down the heat to low and cook without stirring until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let stand, covered, without stirring, for 10 minutes. Stir in the green onions and parsley, and serve.