For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Roast Pork Shoulder Caribbean-Style
Rate this Recipe
Take your dinner from ordinary to extraordinary with this recipe!
|5 lb. pork shoulder, bone-in|
|1 onion, thickly sliced|
|1 clove garlic, peeled|
|2 tablespoons oregano|
|2 teaspoons cumin seeds|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|1 teaspoon black peppercorns|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 tablespoon vegetable oil|
|1 orange, zest and juice|
|1 lemon, zest and juice|
- Using a sharp knife make several shallow cuts (about 1/2-inch deep) in the pork, place in a glass or ceramic roasting pan. Spread the onion slices on the bottom of the pan.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process to make a paste. Rub the pork with the mixture on all sides, making sure it goes into the cuts. Place pork on top of the onions.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 4 hours, turning once, leaving the fat side up for cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 450° F. Place the pork in the middle rack of the oven. After 30 minutes turn down the temperature to 325° F and cook an additional 2 hours, basting every 30 minutes or so with its own juices.
- Remove the pork from the oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before carving, discard onions.
See Other Recipes Like This
Fire up the grill for something delicious!
Try something a little different from the ordinary on the grill. Cook up fresh fruits and veggies for a healthy and tasty side. View Recipes >
Easy and Tasty recipes that kids love!
Try out these tried and true classics that kids go bananas over. They're fun, simple and delicious! View Recipes >
Throw something on the barbie!
Summer is here and boy do we have a few delicious recipes for you! Try them out today, you won't regret it! View Recipes >