For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Roast Pork Shoulder Caribbean-Style
Rate this Recipe
Take your dinner from ordinary to extraordinary with this recipe!
|5 lb. pork shoulder, bone-in|
|1 onion, thickly sliced|
|1 clove garlic, peeled|
|2 tablespoons oregano|
|2 teaspoons cumin seeds|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|1 teaspoon black peppercorns|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 tablespoon vegetable oil|
|1 orange, zest and juice|
|1 lemon, zest and juice|
- Using a sharp knife make several shallow cuts (about 1/2-inch deep) in the pork, place in a glass or ceramic roasting pan. Spread the onion slices on the bottom of the pan.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process to make a paste. Rub the pork with the mixture on all sides, making sure it goes into the cuts. Place pork on top of the onions.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 4 hours, turning once, leaving the fat side up for cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 450° F. Place the pork in the middle rack of the oven. After 30 minutes turn down the temperature to 325° F and cook an additional 2 hours, basting every 30 minutes or so with its own juices.
- Remove the pork from the oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before carving, discard onions.
See Other Recipes Like This
Easy recipes your whole family will love
Tired of loading up your shopping cart with snack foods you know aren't very healthy? We've got a simple solution to your snacking needs. View Recipes >