For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Italian-Style Pot Roast
Rate this Recipe
A little different from the everyday pot roast.
|1 sweet onion, cut in half, peeled and sliced|
|8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced|
|4 lbs. boneless chuck roast, trimmed|
|1 teaspoon black pepper|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|1 packet dry onion soup mix|
|1 can tomato sauce|
|1 can beef broth|
|3 tablespoons tomato paste|
|1 teaspoon Italian seasoning|
|2 tablespoons cornstarch|
|2 tablespoons water|
- Lightly grease a 5- to 6-quart crockpot. Place sliced onion and mushrooms into crockpot.
- Sprinkle roast with black pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook roast in skillet for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Set roast on top of sliced onion and mushrooms in crockpot. Sprinkle onion soup mix over roast; pour tomato sauce and beef broth over roast. Cover crockpot and cook roast on low for 8 to 10 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board; cut into large chunks, removing any large pieces of fat. Keep roast warm.
- Skim fat from juices in crockpot; stir in tomato paste and Italian seasoning.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water until smooth; add to juices in crockpot, stirring until blended. Increase crockpot heat to high. Cover crockpot and cook until mixture is thickened, about 40 minutes. Stir in roast.
See Other Recipes Like This
Nothing beats good old-fashioned slow cooked food!
These recipes are full of flavor and easy to make. From classic roasts to hearty stews, there's something for everyone. View Recipes >
Classic Holiday Recipes with a Twist
Try these delicious recipes for your Thanksgiving meal. They're easy to prepare, fun to make, the whole family will love them. Share your passion for cooking and do something a little different this holiday season. Great tasting recipes from turkey and stuffing to mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Don't forget the pumpkin pie! View Recipes >
What to eat before the Big Meal?
Here are a few recipe ideas to have before your Thanksgiving Day meal. Why not start off the day with something a little sweeter? Maybe a dish with apples? The perfect fall fruit, crisp, juicy and delicious. Or maybe you're in the mood for a hearty brunch, something with a little of everything. View Recipes >
Easy and delicious recipes for the big game!
Whip up classic favorites like a hearty chili, baked potato skins and Philly steaks. All your favorite dishes in one place! Don't sweat it on game day, we've got great starters and snacks to make it to the end. Perfect for feeding the whole team. Just be prepared to make seconds, these are the true crowd pleasers! View Recipes >