For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup
Rate this Recipe
Serves 6 Cups
Fresh, Flavorful and Fantastic!
|8 red bell peppers|
|1 bay leaf|
|5 black peppercorns|
|2 thyme sprigs|
|2 teaspoons olive oil|
|1 large onion, diced|
|1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced|
|4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth|
|3 tablespoons white wine vinegar|
|1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce|
|black pepper, Freshly ground|
|fresh chives, for garnish, Chopped|
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; remove membranes and seeds. Set pepper halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Press down on pepper halves to flatten them. Broil until blackened, about 15 minutes. Place blackened pepper halves into a zip-top plastic bag; seal shut. Let rest for 15 minutes. Peel skins off of pepper halves. Chop peppers.
- Set bay leaf, peppercorns and thyme on a double layer cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together and tie securely.
- Set a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Heat oil. Add onion to Dutch oven; cook and stir until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add garlic to Dutch oven; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add bell peppers, cheesecloth bag, broth, vinegar and hot pepper sauce to Dutch oven; bring ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to simmering, cover Dutch oven and cook ingredients for 20 minutes. Remove and discard cheesecloth bag. Season the mixture with salt and black pepper.
- Remove the middle piece from the lid of a blender to allow steam to escape. Place half of the soup mixture into blender. Hold lid down and cover opening in lid with a cloth. Blend ingredients until smooth. Pour soup into a large bowl. Repeat with remaining bell pepper mixture.
- Garnish with chives before serving.
See Other Recipes Like This
Fire up the grill for something delicious!
Try something a little different from the ordinary on the grill. Cook up fresh fruits and veggies for a healthy and tasty side. View Recipes >
Easy and Tasty recipes that kids love!
Try out these tried and true classics that kids go bananas over. They're fun, simple and delicious! View Recipes >
Minimal ingredient treats with great taste in no time!
Be surprised what you can make with just a few simple ingredients. Everything from brownies to orange sorbet and everything in between! View Recipes >