For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup
Rate this Recipe
Serves 6 Cups
Fresh, Flavorful and Fantastic!
|8 red bell peppers|
|1 bay leaf|
|5 black peppercorns|
|2 thyme sprigs|
|2 teaspoons olive oil|
|1 onion, diced|
|1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced|
|4 cups chicken broth|
|3 tablespoons white wine vinegar|
|1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce|
|Salt, to toaste|
|Freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|Chopped fresh chives, for garnish|
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; remove membranes and seeds. Set pepper halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Press down on pepper halves to flatten them. Broil until blackened, about 15 minutes. Place blackened pepper halves into a zip-top plastic bag; seal shut. Let rest for 15 minutes. Peel skins off of pepper halves. Chop peppers.
- Set bay leaf, peppercorns and thyme on a double layer cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together and tie securely.
- Set a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Heat oil. Add onion to Dutch oven; cook and stir until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add garlic to Dutch oven; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add bell peppers, cheesecloth bag, broth, vinegar and hot pepper sauce to Dutch oven; bring ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to simmering, cover Dutch oven and cook ingredients for 20 minutes. Remove and discard cheesecloth bag. Season the mixture with salt and black pepper.
- Remove the middle piece from the lid of a blender to allow steam to escape. Place half of the soup mixture into blender. Hold lid down and cover opening in lid with a cloth. Blend ingredients until smooth. Pour soup into a large bowl. Repeat with remaining bell pepper mixture.
- Garnish with chives before serving.
See Other Recipes Like This
Tired of burgers and steaks? Fire up the grill for these delicious recipes! View Recipes >
Enjoy the chilly treat while the temperatures rise!
Does it get any better than enjoying this frozen treat during the hot summer days? It does if you make it yourself! View Recipes >
The perfect recipes for the school year!
When it comes to the school year, you usually have less time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner. Try these tasty recipes, they're easy, quick and delicious! View Recipes >