For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Chicken and Rice Soup
Rate this Recipe
Easy, nutritious and tasty!
|4 chicken breasts|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt|
|black pepper, to taste|
|2 tablspoons unsalted butter|
|2 stalks celery, trimmed and diced|
|2 leeks, light green and white part only, diced|
|2 carrots, diced|
|10 flat-leaf parsley sprigs|
|3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped|
|3 sprigs fresh thyme|
|1 bay leaf|
|6 cup chicken broth, low-sodium|
|1/3 cup converted long grain rice, cooked|
- Season the chicken with the 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the chicken, and saute until well browned, about 6 to 8 minutes on each side. Remove meat from the pan and pour off any fat left in the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, add the remaining butter. Add the celery, leeks, and carrots, saute for 10 minutes.
- Tie the parsley sprigs, thyme and bay leaf with a piece of kitchen twine and add to the pot along with the chicken and broth. Bring the soup to a boil, adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and herb bundle. Skim any excess fat from the surface of the soup with a spoon or a ladle. When the chicken is cool enough to handle remove the meat from the bones and cut into 1" chunks; add the meat to the soup along with the rice. Cook until the meat and rice are heated through.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and chopped parsley. Divide the soup among warm bowls and serve.
|Course:||Soup, lunch, dinner|
See Other Recipes Like This
Get Your Grill On!
Star Spangled Scrumptious!
Get up and celebrate this 4th of July with some seriously delicious dishes! View Recipes >
Delicious recipes for the afternoon
Who said brown bag lunches have to be a sandwich and apple? View Recipes >
Mix Up Some Refreshing Summer Flavors
Summer is here, and there's no better way to showcase farm fresh vegetables than with bright, flavorful salads. View Recipes >
Minimal ingredient treats with great taste in no time!
Be surprised what you can make with just a few simple ingredients. Everything from brownies to orange sorbet and everything in between! View Recipes >
In honor of National Dairy Month, here are a few of our favorite recipes. We have a sample of everything from a Macaroni and Cheese Casserole to a Strawberry Milkshake! View Recipes >