For the Love of Cooking|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Chicken and Rice Soup
Rate this Recipe
Easy, nutritious and tasty!
|4 chicken breasts|
|1 teaspoon kosher salt|
|black pepper, to taste|
|2 tablspoons unsalted butter|
|2 stalks celery, trimmed and diced|
|2 leeks, light green and white part only, diced|
|2 carrots, diced|
|10 flat-leaf parsley sprigs|
|3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped|
|3 sprigs fresh thyme|
|1 bay leaf|
|6 cup chicken broth, low-sodium|
|1/3 cup converted long grain rice, cooked|
- Season the chicken with the 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the chicken, and saute until well browned, about 6 to 8 minutes on each side. Remove meat from the pan and pour off any fat left in the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, add the remaining butter. Add the celery, leeks, and carrots, saute for 10 minutes.
- Tie the parsley sprigs, thyme and bay leaf with a piece of kitchen twine and add to the pot along with the chicken and broth. Bring the soup to a boil, adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and herb bundle. Skim any excess fat from the surface of the soup with a spoon or a ladle. When the chicken is cool enough to handle remove the meat from the bones and cut into 1" chunks; add the meat to the soup along with the rice. Cook until the meat and rice are heated through.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and chopped parsley. Divide the soup among warm bowls and serve.
|Course:||Soup, lunch, dinner|
See Other Recipes Like This
The Tastiest Dishes for the Best Championship Games
Grab your brackets, invite your buddies, and don't forget the snacks! College Basketball's shining moment is finally here and we have a spread fit for the Big Dance, with sliders, quesadillas, and the ultimate dips! View Recipes >
Delicious recipes for the afternoon
Who said brown bag lunches have to be a sandwich and apple? View Recipes >
Enjoy these wonderful dishes
Try out these delicious seafood recipes. We have a great variety of fish and preparation methods. Everything from the classic baked salmon to the unique grilled mahi mahi. Find a new favorite today! View Recipes >